Augusta, Georgia, City Flag

Jan 5th, 2018

 

Augusta is located in central eastern Georgia along the Savannah River at the very end of the navigable portion of the river. It lies in the Piedmont region on the border of South Carolina. Augusta was named for Augusta of Saxe-Gotha, Princess of Wales, Great Britain. It was established in 1736 as the first line of defense against invasions by the Spanish and French. Atlanta and the county, Richmond, were consolidated in 1996. It is interesting to note that Augusta was the second capital of Georgia from 1785 to 1795.

 

The city of Augusta adopted an official city flag in 2000. The designer is unknown, but the flag was approved by the Augusta Commission. The featured image is a replica of the city’s official service mark logo.

 

The following meanings were assigned to the city logo:

 

*     1736: The date the city was founded

*     Building: The old Government House

 

In 2004, the North American Vexillological Association, NAVA, conducted The American City Flag Survey. Augusta’s flag ranked 110th out of 150 flags. Almost all flags that contain a solid field and a city seal or coat of arms ranked quite low in the survey, and, in this case, the city logo. In addition, the flag does not follow the Vexillologist rules of simple flag design.

 

Flagpoles Etc.

 

We are a family-owned business that has spent over 25 years in our chosen trade. All of our products are made in America. Please feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have regarding flags, flagpoles, and flag and flagpole accessories. Visit our Website to purchase yours today!

 

To keep up-to-date with our latest news and informative blog posts, Like us on Facebook, and  Follow us on Twitter (@FlagPoleEtc) and Google Plus