Belleville, Illinois, Flag History

Oct 28th, 2018

 

Belleville is a city located in southwest Illinois and consists of 23.5 square miles. It is the county seat for St. Clair County. In 1814, George Blair donated 26 acres – one acre for a town square and 25 acres for a new county seat. As a result, he was given the opportunity to name the town. He chose Belleville, a French word for a beautiful city. Belleville was incorporated as a village in 1819 and as a city in 1850.

 

In 1964, the Belleville Chamber of Commerce and Belleville Carling Brewery Company held a flag design contest. The event was a part of the Sesquicentennial Year Program. The winning entry was submitted by Frederick L. Lange, a local resident. The flag was officially adopted that same year.

 

The meanings assigned to the flag design include the following:

 

*     Black Field: The area’s rich soil

*     Green Bar: Agriculture

*     White Bar: Culture

*     Yellow Bar: Minerals

*     Post Horn: Heritage of settlers in the area and the Belleville Philharmonic Orchestra

 

Flagpoles Etc.

 

We are a family-owned business that has spent over 25 years in our chosen trade. All of our products are made in America. Please feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have regarding flags, flagpoles, and flag and flagpole accessories. Visit our Website to purchase yours today!

 

To keep up-to-date with our latest news and informative blog posts, Like us on Facebook, and  Follow us on Twitter (@FlagPoleEtc) and Google Plus