Harrison County, Ohio, Flag

Jun 1st, 2018

Harrison

 

Harrison County is located in the Central-East region of Ohio and consists of 411 square miles. It was formed in 1813 from portions of Jefferson and Tuscarawas counties. The county seat is located in the city of Cadiz. Harrison County was named after General William Henry Harrison, an American military officer during the War of 1812.

 

In 2002, the New Rumley 4-H Club designed the Harrison County flag. It has a green field and features the county seal in the center.

 

The meanings assigned to the flag and the county seal design include the following:

 

*     Black: The coal industry

*     Blue Water by Pine Tree: Recreation on the county’s lakes

*     Circle: The close connection between county businesses, communities, organizations, and schools

*     Gold: Individuals from the county that became famous including U.S. Representative John A. Bingham, General George Custer, and Clark Gable

*     Green Field: Agriculture

*     Outline in Center of Seal: Harrison County outline

*     Stars (15 Total): The 15 townships in the county

 

The images contained in the county seal include a farm, coal, a tree, and a lake. Those images represent the importance of those things to the county residents.

 

The Ohio Veterans Plaza at the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio, features plaques and accompanying flagpoles from each of the 88 counties in Ohio. The flags were presented at the Ohio Statehouse in 2005 during the Bicentennial flag dedication ceremonies and are now displayed annually.

 

Flagpoles Etc.

 

We are a family-owned business that has spent over 25 years in our chosen trade. All of our products are made in America. Please feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have regarding flags, flagpoles, and flag and flagpole accessories. Visit our Website to purchase yours today!

 

To keep up-to-date with our latest news and informative blog posts, Like us on Facebook, and  Follow us on Twitter (@FlagPoleEtc) and Google Plus