Lawrence County, Ohio, Flag

Jul 8th, 2018

 

Lawrence County is located on the southern border of Ohio and consists of 457 square miles. It was created in 1816 from Gallia and Scioto counties and organized in 1817. Burlington was chosen to serve as the county seat until 1851 when the seat was moved to the city of Ironton. Lawrence County is named for James Lawrence, United States Navy officer. He is known best for his dying command “Don’t give up the ship!” to his staff aboard the USS Chesapeake during a battle with another ship.

 

The designer of the Lawrence County flag is unknown. The flag has a white field and features an image of the county seal in the center. The Lawrence County Genealogical Society designed the seal and it was drawn by Lee F. Daniel Jr., a local artist. It was adopted by the county commissioners in 1985.

 

The meanings assigned to the seal design include the following:

 

*     Apples (Rome Beauty): Agriculture. The Rome Beauty apple was developed in 1816 by the Lawrence County Gillette family.

*     Charcoal Furnace: Historically, the county produced high-quality iron from mineral deposits in the area

*     River Boat: Transportation. It also symbolizes men from the county in the 1800s that worked on the Ohio River

 

The Ohio Veterans Plaza at the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio, features plaques and accompanying flagpoles from each of the 88 counties in Ohio. The flags were presented at the Ohio Statehouse in 2003 during the Bicentennial flag dedication ceremonies and are now displayed annually.

 

Flagpoles Etc.

 

We are a family-owned business that has spent over 25 years in our chosen trade. All of our products are made in America. Please feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have regarding flags, flagpoles, and flag and flagpole accessories. Visit our Website to purchase yours today!

 

To keep up-to-date with our latest news and informative blog posts, Like us on Facebook, and  Follow us on Twitter (@FlagPoleEtc) and Google Plus