Williams County, Ohio, Flag

Oct 7th, 2018

 

Williams County is located on the northwest border of Ohio and consists of 423 square miles. It was created in 1820 and organized in 1824. The county seat is located in the city of Bryan. Williams County was named for Davis Williams, an American Revolutionary War militiaman from New York.

 

The Williams County Commissioners brought up the idea of a county flag in 1989 for use during celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the Williams County Court House. As a result, they sponsored a flag design contest and assigned supervision of it to the Williams County Schools office. The contest was open to county students. The winning entry, from 100s of submissions, was designed by sixth-grade student Greg Stuckey from North Central Schools. His prize was a flag and a Savings Bond.

 

The meanings assigned to the flag design include the following:

 

*     Gold Stripes: Sun rays needed to ripen crops

*     Green Stripes: Farming

*     Outline in Center of Field: Williams County Court House

*     Small Outline in Upper Left Corner of Outline: Williams County

*     Williams County Courthouse: History of the county and its rich heritage, and the responsibilities and rights of the county, state, and United States citizens

 

The Ohio Veterans Plaza at the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio, features plaques and accompanying flagpoles from each of the 88 counties in Ohio. The flags were presented at the Ohio Statehouse in 2003 during the Bicentennial flag dedication ceremonies and are now displayed annually.

 

Flagpoles Etc.

 

We are a family-owned business that has spent over 25 years in our chosen trade. All of our products are made in America. Please feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have regarding flags, flagpoles, and flag and flagpole accessories. Visit our Website to purchase yours today!

 

To keep up-to-date with our latest news and informative blog posts, Like us on Facebook, and  Follow us on Twitter (@FlagPoleEtc) and Google Plus