Hialeah, Florida, City Flag History

Feb 2nd, 2017

Hialeah was founded in 1921 and was incorporated in 1925. It is located in Miami-Dade County. Although it is unclear whether the city has ever adopted an official city flag, it has displayed two different flags over the years. The first was designed by a city employee, Phyllis Adams, in 1960.

 

The flag featured a white field, the city seal in the center, and the words City of Hialeah above the seal and the words Hialeah, Florida, below the seal. The seal was blue and featured Muskogee Chief Tiger Tail in its center. The Chief is famous for resisting the U.S. Army’s incursion into the area in 1841. Legend indicates that the Chief is pointing to what would later become Hialeah.

 

In 2001, the city seal was altered after city officials decided it needed a more interesting design. The image of Chief Tiger Tail was retained and the following added; two palm fronds on both sides of him, green to represent grass under his feet, blue sky above him, and two flamingos under his outstretched arm in the background. The city flag was then redesigned to reflect that change.

 

 

The above, apparently unofficial, city flag was included in The American City Flag Survey that was conducted in 2004 by the North American Vexillological Association. The flag was ranked 145 out of the 150 flags included in the survey; the sixth worst rated city flag in the United States.

 

Flagpoles Etc.

 

We are a family owned business that has spent over 25 years in our chosen trade. All of our products are made in America. Please feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have regarding flags, flagpoles, and flag and flagpole accessories. Visit our Website to purchase yours today!

 

To keep up-to-date on our latest news and informative blog posts, Like us on Facebook, and  Follow us on Twitter (@FlagPoleEtc) and Google Plus